Monday, December 5, 2016

CHRISTMAS IS COMING!

 This is my "thoughtful Spot" as Pooh said, or my "Marmee's Corner" as Jo, Meg and the girls from Little Women would have dubbed it.  At Christmas with all the lights going up near the Laughing Pond it is wonderful to sit in the twilight or early dawn and look out while sipping a cup of English Breakfast tea or a coffee with Baileys added....
 You may notice a Christmas card in the bowl.  I keep beautiful cards year to year and recycle.  I can't bear to have someones gift to me be cast aside, so I treasure it in many ways to honor them.  This card is from Agnes Aaberg.  I have 4 beautiful ones, as we've been neighbors for 5 years now I use them in my Christmas decor inside!


For all the newcomers who have moved into Phase #3: my sincere condolences and congratulations!  You have moved into the Park at the very wettest year we've seen yet and have survived...albeit wondering what you've let yourself in for!
 Really, though, it has been quite a strain on everyone, as instead of the usual put ups it has been a struggle for staff and those who are hired to make the place liveable! Garden staff and workers are really trying to find a balance between showers and deluges... it isn't easy being green....
 That said, I must reiterate that Vancouver Island has been the recent recipient of a near drought for the past 4 seasons and I cannot really say I'm sorry to see the rain.  When you witness large trees dying because there is no groundwater and fall just because they can no longer sustain the weight, you'd rather have the rain to help them.  I do agree that enough is enough, but it was the same when month after month of heat didn't give a break, either. It'd just be wonderful to have the regular seasons back and not such extremes!

I know everyone who walks a dog has seen the mess made at the bridge, but Lyle pointed out 2 more trees that could also fall without warning in the same area.  I took photos to let you know which stand to avoid being on the "fall" side of . The Alder amongst the Fir in the photo are leaning precipitously at angles that, if a good wind came, could snap them off. They'd probably go inward toward the grass ( that's where people go).  Just be careful!

Going along Cherry Lane and through the Woodlands area you will notice huge mounds of dirt.  This is fill for the land development and the trucks are bringing it in to use when Phase#5,6 goes in.







As was noted via email, there is no "closing down" of the Woodlands.  Plenty of notice will be given when the time to really develop comes. HOWEVER it is very dirty and muddy and noisy for those in the Woodlands.  Some have left already.  Larry is one and he writes that he has relocated near Coombs and is happy there. Charlotte and Mark left on the weekend to Duncan and mentioned that with a new large house they'd be camping more!!


This is our Bistro.  Lynda redecorated it for us, making much better use of the area with the bookcase in a "dead spot".  






 It is such a wonderful quiet spot for a coffee, tea or hot chocolate, all provided there with the TIMES COLONIST for a good read.  Books are there to read also.  Coffee, Tea , hot Chocolate or cider packets are available for $1.00, by far the cheapest coffee in town! proceeds go to fund our get togethers!
 I've met friends there and had a chat many a time, either outside or in, depending on weather!  Lynda has done a wonderful job of redecorating, too.  


cedar and holly for Residents use







If you wondered where the cedar and holly are for our use, I took a photo so you'd know what I was referring to.  Many asked what the cedar was for and when I asked Lynda she said it was for Residents, but she didn't have time to make out a sign ( it was pouring) so I told her I'd put it here and people could help themselves.






You may have noticed in the Waterlily Pond a couple of new residents...some blue heron are scoping out the place and I've heard that the Koi are back there again.  I KNOW there were 3 when we moved in and 2 Springs ago I saw at least 1 still there.  Now it's been spotted again!  I'd like to ask someone to write a little bit about Koi...someone like Dennis or Maureen!  













 All in all a wonderful place to live....

Linda Ocky would like to know if anyone is interested in getting bottled water from the Old Victoria Water Company.  The number for them is 250-744-2333 and the email is: sales@oldvictoriawater.com if anyone is interested.  They deliver to the Gardens.
Also, anyone who remembers Gord and Gloria Schiller ( one of the first Managment team in 2011) there is great news!  They are moving back to Chemainus!  They have a place on Chemainus Rd. and would love to hear from anyone else that remembers them. I have further details, but they need to move first! Anyone interested in seeing them, contact me.

 Just to let you know about our Pavilion Party for Christmas!  date and time above.



This was our view this morning. It was so pretty!  I'm looking forward to this evening when the lights are around the pond lighting up and twinkling off the snow.   Hummingbirds are also needing food, so keep your feeders clean so they don't get a fungal infection that would kill them!

Happy Day!!

Cheers, 

Leslie

No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF THERE IS SOMETHING YOU WOULD LIKE TO SEE ON THIS BLOG

JULY AND AUGUST the dog days of summer...

 By July the garden at Chemainus Garden was in full swing.  New beds were constructed that weren't claimed. Many pros...