Tuesday, March 12, 2019

THE LONG WINTER


Christmas came Softly







On the 7th of December our weather was a balmy and crisp.  The gardeners were decorating for Christmas...lights went into the trees and festive scenes were set up.  We were delighted with the calm...

So we had our Annual Workers Thank You lunch...






Rick, Jen, Linda, Haley..Our Heros!

 Group by group they arrived....

Lyle and Rick....





Oohhs and Ahhs from the hungry crew were heard...Lyle tried to avoid the camera, but alas I was too quick for him.. after all, with that spread no one would want to miss the choices before one!
There was sooooo much food that one by one those of us who came merely to enjoy seeing the crew have a wonderful meal and good time with Christmas gifts also were pressed to partake.  Can't say I said "no" even when I was basically abstaining from public food till my visit to see my Dad was over.  I hadn't had ANY food outside my own for a month before Christmas...so I'm glad to report I was fine, even breaking my own rules....eeekkkk.
















  Diana Lenihan was the MC and from all of us she thanked those responsible for our lovely setting...
All the ladies brought pot luck dishes and sweets and salads...It was TRULY inspirational! 

 
Then came the fun of gifts.  It was so fun to watch as they got their own special gifts.... 
Even the shy ( Kelly and Lyle) got into it enough to let me take photos.....without a bribe!!
They were allowed to exchange gifts or keep the ones given... Some things went around a few times!!
 



Kelly
Paulie
Jen



On the 15th of December we had our Christmas Dinner.  By that time I was serious about not eating out so sent Charlie to get a few photos.  I heard it was really nice and fun....
 
 
 






















Then, on the 20th of December, just as the entire town was winding up for Christmas....came the BIG WIND.

Now we know Chemainus was at the epicenter of the storm, but at the time no one was aware of that and just after 4:00 p.m. and the hardest part of the wind had abated those who could checked in on their neighbors.  We all helped each other in some way or other

 







Reading by LED lights...

Truly it was totally unexpected.  Usually we get a bit of weather, but usually Nanaimo  and Duncan are hit hardest.  Not this time!  For 3 days we were "in the dark".  And it was a good wake up call to have handy what you'll need in case of ANY natural disaster.  I packed a more thourough "go bag" right after...even purchasing things I won't use until and if there is an emergency.  Cold IS Cold and it's nice to be WARM.












 
On the 6th of January I flew down to my Fathers' house to help my sister get a home for him, as his needs exceeded her abilities and he needed care, he's 96.  We both collapsed after setting him up and went to the coast to our favorite spot...Santa Cruz.  We had 2 nights and 2 days alone to do NOTHING.  It was such a blessing.






















While I was there the blossoms for the Almond orchards began to burst open the day before I left...2 weeks late...






We settled Dad and he had his 96th birthday in his new home:






Meanwhile I was sent these Photos from Charlie.... Can't say I wanted to be at home.... sorry....




















     and on it went...day after day.  While I experienced wind and flooding in the San Joaquin Valley, it was not local so it didn't affect us.
                                                                          

When I finally touched down in Victoria it had stopped snowing, but the piles of snow along the road were still there!. My first walk out I found this sight in the old Works Yard...









and this on FaceBook!   










Many things had changed for the better as I was away.  For one thing the Park has almost completely filled up and I'm lucky enough to have seen the last Park Model being brought in for phase 6.



























































LAST   UNIT:  MARCH 7, 2019







































DONE.   Now for the finishing touches...pavement, paths and cleanup.  Such a lovely place to call home...such a sweet Spring!

Cheers

Leslie #336











No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF THERE IS SOMETHING YOU WOULD LIKE TO SEE ON THIS BLOG

JULY AND AUGUST the dog days of summer...

 By July the garden at Chemainus Garden was in full swing.  New beds were constructed that weren't claimed. Many pros...